Monday, July 2, 2007

What's in a name?

Been trying to find out what my last name means by definition. After quite a bit of searching on the web, came to find out the origin is Dutch and German (my family's nationality) and means "hangman" or "torturer". I couldn't be less like this last name....the Executioner! Ya, that's me. All the people with this name (Mennonite's) left the country and immigrated to Prussia in the 1700's. Also means "swamp" or "whiner". Good stuff, huh? My wife had to rub it in by saying, "Hope there's no Doug or Wendy in your family tree!" (Any 70's SNL fans in the house?) Thanks, dear...

2 comments:

tloper said...

Dude.....nice. I knew you couldn't resist. I am going to call you the meat grinder from now on.....How about MG Kliewer.

Mamasan said...

It's OK to use Meat Grinder...but just know that that comes from the Atherton side of the family, not the Kliewer side. But then, a TORTURER might use a meat "kliewer" OR a meat grinder. You poor guy! What kind of names did we saddle you with?