Friday, July 6, 2007

Switching Gears

So this year I decided to take up the sport of Bike Racing after a break of roughly 18 years. I've always been a cycling fan in those 18 years, just haven't always been a cyclist, if you know what I mean. I started racing when I was a teen-ager and was only competitive in a few races. Most of the time, I was getting dropped in the early part of the race. So this was a mild attempt at finding some redemption. I thought maybe I would do one or two races this year. One or two turned into about 13 or 14. I got dropped on a couple of them as before, but for the most part this year, I was in there for the duration. No impressive finishes, but I would say that I found a little redemption. I had a blast doing it and helped a friend get a new racing team off the ground in the process (see link to "Vapor Racing).


I've also been a bass player for the last 16 or so years. But when I decided I was going to pursue bike racing this year, I put the bass away in the closet. It hasn't seen the light of day since last November. Now the bike racing is pretty much tapered off, at least with regard to events that I would consider entering. It feels like it is time to break out the axe again and start brushing up on my chops. I miss it. I felt at the time that I needed a break and only wanted to concentrate on one thing at a time for a while. Maybe I'll succumb to the pleas of a couple of good freinds (you know who you are) who are always up for a good jam session. Our jam sessions in the past usually involved getting all the instruments set up and then somebody saying, "Hey, lets go drink beer", which of course we did. But that's what made them great!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

test

Anonymous said...

Ok.....Chris. I remember you telling me that finishing was not enough....don't give up brother, unless you don't enjoy it.

We gave up on the sleeping with the Kids thind al long time ago....eventually they do it by themselves...Finn has. Just love him and put him down. The hard part is when you pass out with them and wake up at 3:00 am ...where in the Hell am I