Monday, August 27, 2007

Aaahh...that takes me back

So the way I see it, there are two types of people in this world. There are people whose lives are infused with music....they are moved by it and many of their memories can be triggered by some song or another. Certain feelings or moods are easily aroused by certain types of music. Certain activites call for certain songs or genres. These people live music and there is no separating it from them.


Then there are those who may appreciate music, may even have a favorite song or two, but for the most part, they just think music is "ok". They don't get to crazy about it and they may not even ever have the radio on in their car, unless it's some talk show. These people are moved in ways other than music and are not so affected by the sound of it. For the most part, it's just not that important a part of their lives and they could take it or leave it.

Me?.........I am definately in the fist group. In fact, I'm the president. I have the perfect song for every possible moment in life. I could write soundtracks and make millions.


So I'm driving home from work....got the iPod plugged in to the stereo, which is always just a hair below ear-bleed level (yes, I am losing hearing....that's why I have to keep turning it up!), and a song comes on that instantly transports me to another time and place. I am sixteen years old, braces, pimples, flaming red hair, shy as heck.....all the qualities that every beautiful young girl is searching for (it's called sarcasm).....full of raging hormone, teenage angst, melancholy moodiness.

The song? "Head Over Heals" by Tears For Fears. Gets me EVERY time.

No one single song wraps up my early puberty years like that one. You may think, "I don't get it. Why that one?" The answer is, "I don't really know." It was just a song that I really liked that came along right at that time in my life. Very formative years. I can listen to it now and groove along to it because I just like the song, but I can also listen to it and I'm amused at the way it brings back those teenage memories and feelings....lonely, insecure....the way I'm sure lots of kids feel at that time of their lives....even the "popular" kids with lots of friends....if they're really honest.

Anyway, It's amusing because I've come a long way in the last 2+ decades and I'm a lifetime away from that person I was.

It's good to grow up. But sometimes it's fun to look back, especially when you're more happy with who you have become!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. There are just some songs that spin me around and send me back through 4+ decades and I can tell you exactly where I was when I heard it and what I was doing and what I was wearing and who I was with... You get my drift. Music has away of magically transporting ones mind to another time & place. If I close my eyes, I'm there once again, young and strong and healthy and a little crazy - after all, I was a teen-ager back then!